Writers, artist writers, poets, performers: (Not) in Residence opportunities with Arcadecardiff for 2017
Arcadecardiff is an established artist-run exhibition and project space, in Queens Arcade, Cardiff. We are seeking expressions of interest in our new writer (not) in residence programme. We are looking for three writers who can work with us to create blog entries, words, text, performance, and other. Output could be in relation to: Arcadecardiff’s gallery and offsite programme and the wider arts scene in Cardiff and South Wales; and then also more widely – art, society, being alive, our living, creating roles.
Freedom to experiment and challenge will be encouraged. Arcadecardiff has an open-to-all, inclusive ethos, which includes a respectful attitude towards others and does not permit discrimination on any grounds. Work produced has to fall within these principles.
The three opportunities are for:
- Someone with proven experience and record of using word/written material in their artistic practice
- Someone establishing an experimental practice using words/ written material
- Someone with a performative practice using words
The (not) in-residence (we aren’t able to accommodate you as such, sorry) periods will be of 10 weeks in length. Our intention is that each of the three selected people will:
- submit regular pieces for our new Arcadecardiff blog (at least every other week) during the period, which will feature on our new website coming in March. You will be encouraged to: respond to Arcadecardiff exhibitions, other shows on in Cardiff and nearby; consider the work of local artists, attend events, make visits to studios;
- develop other output from the time with us, perhaps a talk, reading, website entries. It will be up to you how your work manifests, but some output – however time-based, permanent, ephemeral that may be – should be produced beyond or alongside the blog entries (which, by the way, will be eyed by us before going public);
- maintain contact with Arcadecardiff throughout the residency;
- create a short report on completion.
The three suggested time periods in this year for these opportunities are:
10 April – 18 June; 19 June – 27 August; 28 August – 6 November 2017
These remain flexible however, and we will work with you on the timings.
Fee: £600 per opportunity (potential additional budget available for assistance of events/other)
To apply: Please apply for only one opportunity stating which option you are applying for. Send by email to the address below, with ‘Not in Residence’ in the email subject line: a CV, short proposal (no longer than 500 words), two examples of current/previous writings, contact details, and any website links, by 5pm 10 March. Apologies, please submit the application in English; but examples of writing can be in Welsh or English. Due to limited admin resources, if you have not heard from us by 21 March, please assume you haven’t been successful on this occasion.
arcadecardiff.co.uk facebook and twitter @Arcadecardiff